Sunday, November 3, 2013

To Be or Not To Be...

   
In the first video, David Tennant portrays Hamlet's famous soliloquy in a soft, whispering tone. He appears fearful as he speaks: when Tennant says the line, "To be or not to be--that is the question," it seems as if he is actually searching within himself for the answer of whether or not he should live. The tone of his voice throughout the soliloquy indicates that he is full of despair and unsure where his plan to avenge his father might lead him.
    In the second video, however, Kenneth Branagh's portrayal of Hamlet differs. His approach leans toward the angry, aggressive side. His voice is quiet and even, unlike Tennant's shaky, whispering voice. From my point of view, Branagh seems more like a madman because of his quiet-anger demeanor.
    I prefer David Tennant's performance over Kenneth Branagh's, because Tennant's performance felt raw and emotional. I see Hamlet as a torn, confused young man. David Tennant showed that side of Hamlet clearly in the first video.





3 comments:

  1. Hi Marina,
    I really loved your take on the first video and completely agree that it was so emotional that it felt more real. Since i actually did the same videos as you did we had some similar opinions on both. I really liked how you explained that the version with Kenneth Branagh was angry in a quiet way because i honestly did not pick up on that when i watched the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marina! It was interesting to read your post and I can definitely respect our differing opinions. I looked at the same videos, but I guess when we think of Hamlet we picture the different sides. Perhaps you see his more emotional side while I see a side with deep, boiling anger. I picture Hamlet as mildly crazy, and that's why I preferred Branagh's version a little more, because it filled the picture in my head. But I can see the raw emotion in Tennant's version, and why you would prefer that over Branagh's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you said about how each actor approached this soliloquy. I also agree about how Hamlet can be a torn and emotional young man, but I think at this point in the play his mood has changed dramatically. At this point I see Hamlet as being this angry aggressive madman. I think that you picked up on some very important things in these videos and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete